Finding your Menopause Superpower
In this article Caroline Kerslake, founder of complete Fitness and Wellbeing, tells us how we can find our Menopause Superpower.
“Caroline there is no menopause superpower, it is the menopause, something we all go through at a certain stage of life, which can be ok or tricky or tough or a mix and more. No superpowers there…”Well, I disagree.
YOU are your menopause superpower. YOU
.“A woman going through the menopause is like a butterfly emerging from her chrysalis. She goes through many changes to get to the end, Physically, Mentally, and Emotionally.” (source unknown)
The journey begins:
Peri Menopause: The average time from perimenopause to post menopause is approx. 6 to 10 years. We are all so different it will affect us very individually; it could begin from the age of 35+. Hormones begin to fluctuate, we notice changes in our bodies, mentally and emotionally.
Menopause may be earlier than expected or brought on because of illness or surgery. Menopause doesn’t always arrive when we assume it will, if it occurs before the age of 40 it is classed as early menopause.
Menopause: 51 – 53 is the average age when we cease menstruating. After 12 consecutive months of no period we are classed as being in…
Post Menopause: Our hormones have adjusted to new levels – some lower or maybe higher than before and our body will be adjusting to these, as hormones don’t stay the same for long and for many reasons.
To ensure we are looking after ourselves at this time – before, during and long after, we need to make sure we tick several boxes to help with the process and the way forward to live our best 3rd age life. We need to realise that being a Superpower comes with some responsibility….
The main areas to look at are:
- Bone Health
- Heart Health
- Brain Health and Cognitive Function,
But how? what do we need to do?
Listen to our body, noticing what has changed,
- What works or does not work for you now (hello mid 20’s, hours of cardio, late nights and booze!)
- Finding what will suit us and benefit our health and wellbeing – whether it is HRT, supplements or a change in diet and exercise for example.
- Picking up on triggers that could bring on a hot flash or a bad night’s sleepNoticing how stress affects you and what do you do when you are stressed, does this help or hinder how you feel?
- Does this phase of life affect you at work, if so, what can we do about this?
- Realising that now is the time to add a variety of movement into our daily lives, to move more or sometimes less if we are doing too much.
- Look at what is on your “plate” and what can you do if you do not like what is on there, and
- Very importantly finding time for calm and self-compassion – because at any stage of life it can be tough being a grown up can’t it!
So, take some time to process where you are right now. Hone into your superpower – YOU.
What can you add to help and make the process one that works for you.
And if I can help you tune in to your superpower, you can find my details below:
More about Caroline Kerslake
Caroline, founder of Complete Fitness and Wellbeing, uses movement, massage and self-care leading up to, through and beyond midlife into our third age, providing services that will enhance you journey during this life stage.
This article is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice and diagnosis and does not constitute medical advice. If you are concerned about any change in your mental or physical health you should contact your health professional straight away.
Enjoyed Find your Menopause Superpower? Read Perimenopause – signs to look out for HERE